Chris-Tel Construction has completed the classroom and nursery addition to Thomas Edison Congregational Church located on Llewellyn Drive in Fort Myers, Florida. The addition was a true labor of love having been financed through parishioner donations, the majority of which was from a particular parishioner in memory of his loving wife Cathy, who passed away from breast cancer last February. The brand new 1,200 square foot addition, known as “Cathy’s Place”, was crafted from the ground up by our team of experts. The challenge with the new building was to seamlessly blend it in with the current sanctuary. This was carefully completed with a stucco technique called dashing. Upon completion, the building was dedicated during a special Sunday service at the church in mid-September.
The church began in 1925 as the Community Congregational Church and held its services in the Ritz Theatre and later the Arcade Theatre. In 1930, the church was built on four lots owned by Dr. Robley Newton and Henry Whitcomb (Newton being Thomas Edison’s local physician) who were members. The church was the only building in Edison Park being constructed during the depression. Thomas and Mina Edison were also members of the church along with his sister Grace Hitchcock. In 1964, the church changed its name to Thomas A. Edison Congregational Church to honor him.