Salary; Exempt; Full-Time
Fort Myers, FL
As the Manager of Preconstruction, your responsibility is to ensure exceptional customer service through our preconstruction services on all assigned projects. Your leadership and direction will be instrumental in all project pursuits, overseeing all day-to-day preconstruction efforts, and providing strategic guidance for future projects. Your mission includes staff development, strategic decision-making, and collaborating closely with our Strategic Development Director to secure exciting new projects, ranging from continuing works projects to $150M+.
Core duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Core duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead and oversee project coordination and preparation within the Preconstruction/Estimating Department, prioritizing customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for the organization of the Estimating Department to assure that proper procedures are in place to allow a smooth estimating and bidding process.
- Manage the Estimating Team including work assignments, continuing education and performance and wage reviews.
- Guide staff and review construction documents, potentially visiting project sites and preparing accurate quantity takeoffs for estimates.
- Guide staff and prepare scope sheets for subcontracted work.
- Guiding staff and submit Requests for Information (RFI’s) in a timely manner to design and construction teams during bidding and occasionally during construction.
- Take the lead in competitive bid endeavors for Construction Management (CM) and Design-Build projects, starting from conceptual design to finalized construction documents.
- Assist the Project Management team in accurately pricing requested/necessary change orders on awarded projects throughout project construction.
- Guide staff and assist Project Managers and Contract Administrator with preparing the Schedule of Values, submittals, and accounting system budgets for awarded projects.
- Prepare thorough documentation for project hand-off to Project Managers/Operations Department on awarded/contracted jobs.
- Assist in scope review during estimating and contract negotiation processes.
- Guide staff and work with Project Management team to assist in the material buy-out and preparation of subcontractor work orders for awarded jobs.
- Manage project teams, including employees and external partners, offering design management, value-based project scoping, risk assessment, and competitive pricing.
- Develop conceptual and schematic estimating with limited design inputs.
- Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Conduct thorough reviews of all plans and specifications.
- Develop comprehensive estimate summaries.
- Solicit subcontractors and suppliers.
- Provide detailed quantity surveys using Plan Swift.
- Create estimates using Sage estimating software.
- Prepare comprehensive pricing packages for Owners, including estimates, qualifications, and schedules.
- Any and all additional duties as reasonably assigned.
This position will be responsible for the overall management of the Estimating Team and the Estimating Department. These include directing work, managing performance, rewarding and discipling employees, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Engineering, or Architecture is required.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience in estimating commercial construction projects is required.
- Profound experience in Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) proposal handling is required.
- Advanced understanding of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, and trade practices is required.
- Proven expertise in pre-construction phase activities on a CM contract, including client and designer meetings is required.
- Experience with Plan Swift is preferred.
- Experience with Autodesk Construction Cloud is preferred.
- Experience with Sage software is preferred.
- Experience with iSqFt is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Project) is required.
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat, Bluebeam Revu, or similar plan viewing applications is required.
Skills & Abilities
- Highly organized with good time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Conflict management skills with a proven record of developing solutions to complex manners.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive, inquisitive, proactive, and collaborative attitude with the ability to work well with all Company employees, customers, vendors, suppliers, and the general public.
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet the Company core values.
- Build trust, communicate effectively, foster innovation, focus on the customer and solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity.
This position does not require daily travel, however, occasional local travel to the various jobsites may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly sitting for long periods of time. Compliant with the ADA, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Employees have a duty of care for the health and safety of their co-workers, customers, and the general public. Careless reckless action will not be tolerated.